Need of Emotional Intelligence to make a better life Emotional Intelligence Is all about the capacity to reason about emotions and of emotions to enhance thinking. Daniel Coleman, who popularized the concept of Emotional Intelligence, is of the opinion that Intelligent Quotient (IQ) accounts for 20% success in a person’s life, whereas most of the remaining 80% factors are based on Emotional Intelligence (El). Emotional Intelligence can be improved throughout life but IQ remains constant after a particular age group. Recommendation
Emotional intelligence transpires that people, who manage their own feelings well and deal effectively with others, are more likely to be content in their lives, and are, therefore, more likely to retain in their lives. Key Features of your recommendation. CEQ allow us to be more aware of ourselves, In term of the following awareness – Knowing your emotions. 2. Self-regulation ; Managing your emotions 3. Motivation – Being able to motivate yourself 1. Self- 4. Empathy – Recognizing and understanding other people’s emotions 5.
Social skills – Developing and managing relationships Benefits Emotional intelligence (El) helps the person the ability to perceive, control, and evaluate emotions. Evidence Since initial research in 1990, innovative organizations have begun testing how to integrate CEQ into training and hiring to gain competitive advantage. Research has provided clear evidence that emotionally Intelligent leaders are more successful At PepsiCo, for example, executives selected for CEQ competencies generated 10% more productivity. High CEQ sales people at L’Oreal brought in $2. 5 million more in sales.
An CEQ initiative at Sheraton helped increase market share by 24%. Summary Emotions are part of life. From the moment we are born, we start expressing emotions. Later on, we learn to manage them. Some are better at it than others; some never do! Emotional Intelligence can be developed by observing your emotions in order to understand them. When you learn to take a step back from what you’re feeling instead of Just being in a reactive mode, Socially accepted aspects in the immediate area of Emotional Intelligence are the leadership skills, teamwork and learned Interpersonal skills.
Action It takes time to develop the skills necessary to fully harness emotional Intelligence. This cannot be learned overnight. Our own personal history, habits, fears, self- how to manage your emotions, motivate yourself, recognize the emotions of others, handling your personal relationships and learning how to apply your knowledge of emotional intelligence all takes time and dedication to be successful. Emotional intelligence: In short “Being smart with feelings. “